Saint Paulís Evangelical Lutheran Church

34 West Main St., Frostburg, MD 21532

Pastor Karen Crosby

About Us

Find Us

Activities

Church Resources

Home Page

Church Office:††††††††† 301-689-9244†††††††† stpaulsfrostburg@verizon.net

Office Hours:†† Mon & Tues, Thurs & Fri, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.,†† Closed on Wednesdays.

©Copyright 2020.† Saint Paulís Lutheran Church, Frostburg, MD.† All rights reserved.

††††††††††††††††††††† SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN SAINT PAULíS HISTORY

 

1808††††† †††††††††††† August 14: First Worship Service of Record, 13 members, 11 Confirmands [Communions Recorded]

1812††††† †††††††††††† May 12:† Meshach and Catherine Frost Married; [Frostburg Dates itself from that time]

1836††††† †††††††††††† Wooden Frame [Meeting House] Church Erected

1843††††† †††††††††††† January 14: Council of Saint Paulís, Cumberland voted to make Frostburg a separate congregation

1846††††† †††††††††††† First brick church erected [now Zion United Church of Christ].† Church sold to Germans.

1853††††† †††††††††††† Idea for a Frostburg Academy sponsored by congregation

1855††††† †††††††††††† Pastor called to Frostburg by German Lutherans

1858††††† †††††††††††† Present site offered to congregation by Jacob Steyer

1860-1863†††††††† Present church building erected

1865††††† †††††††††††† German and English Congregations separated.

1870††††† †††††††††††† The liturgy introduced to the Worship service

1871††††† †††††††††††† Parsonage erected [Present front part and smaller rear part]; Remodeled Lecture room dedicated

1874††††† †††††††††††† September 5: ďThe Great Frostburg FireĒ destroyed church and original rear part of Parsonage;

†††††††††††† †††††††††††† Parsonage front part restored and new larger rear part added; church reconstruction begun

1875††††† †††††††††††† February: New lecture room rededicated

1879††††† †††††††††††† April 20: Restored church rededicated

1884††††† †††††††††††† September 21: 110 foot Church Tower completed

1889††††† †††††††††††† Articles of Incorporation for ďEvangelical Lutheran Church of St. PaulísĒ filed

1897 ††††† †††††††††††† Constitution and bylaws adopted

1902††††† †††††††††††† New outhouse constructed [5 feet x 5 feet x 7 feet]

1903††††† †††††††††††† Apse added to church chancel for choir and organ.† The Book of Worship [of 1899]† introduced to Wor-†††††††††††† †††††††††††† ship Service

SAINT PAULíS CHURCH HISTORY:††† continued

Saint Paulís Evangelical Lutheran Church

34 West Main St., Frostburg, MD 21532

Pastor Karen Crosby